Setting up IP businessesPREV
Government funding support
The Hong Kong Government has a number of programmes providing funding support for businesses.
These include the following programmes and funding schemes:
- This Fund provides financial assistance to help individual SMEs expand their business through their participation in export promotion activities.
- This is a loan guarantee scheme whereby the Government acts as the guarantor for individual SMEs to facilitate them in securing loans from participating lending institutions for acquiring business installations and equipment or meeting working capital needs of general business uses.
- This Fund provides financial support to non-profit-distributing organisations to implement projects which aim at enhancing the competitiveness of Hong Kong's SMEs in general or in specific sectors.
- To help SMEs and non-listed enterprises obtain loans from participating lenders such as banks for meeting their business needs so as to enhance their productivity and competitiveness in the rapidly changing business. environment.
Innovation and Technology Support
- To support midstream/downstream research and development (R&D) projects undertaken mainly by universities, R&D Centres, industry support organisations, professional bodies and trade and industry associations.
- To enhance the level of collaboration on R&D between organisations in Hong Kong and Guangdong Province.
- for non-R&D projects that contribute to the upgrading and development of our industries as well as fostering an innovation and technology culture in Hong Kong.
- To stimulate private sector interest in R&D through leveraging the knowledge and resources of universities. The emphasis is on close collaboration between private companies and universities in Hong Kong
- It is a major funding initiative under the Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF), which is designed to encourage the private sector to invest in research and development (R&D).
- To assist local companies and individuals to apply for patents of their own inventions.
- To assist companies that wish to have their staff trained in a new technology which would be useful to their business.
- To reinforce the research culture among private companies and encourage them to establish stronger partnership with designated local public research institutions. The Scheme is administered by the Innovation and Technology Commission.
- To subsidise local small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in using technological services and solutions to improve productivity, or upgrade or transform their business processes. The programme will be implemented with HK$500 million from the Innovation and Technology Fund.
Creativity and Design Support
- To provide financial support to projects conducive to the development of creative industries in Hong Kong.
- To promote the interest and investment of SMEs in relation to utilising design and transforming design activity into tradable deliverables that manifest exploitation and deployment of intellectual property, which may comprise patent, copyright, trademark or industrial design.